Sunday, January 4, 2009

Limiting Boppy

For those of you who don't know Boppy, he is Harrison's security blanket since about the age of 18 months. Yes, I did say he because Boppy seems like part of the Family since he goes everywhere we go; church, the store, out to eat. Which brings me to why we are limiting Boppy. Friday night we took the kids out to eat, we had a wonderful time, the kids were so well behaved and the food was great. One the drive home Harrison asks, "Mom, where's Boppy?" to which I respond with, "I don't know Harrison, did you bring him?" When we arrived home Darin and I searched the house and Boppy was nowhere to be found and we couldn't remember if we saw Harrison with him in the restaurant or not. We checked on him a few times before he fell asleep that night and he kept telling us he wanted Boppy and we had to explain to him yet again why he did not have Boppy. The next day I called the restaurant and they confirmed that Boppy was there. We did go retrieve Boppy and we gave it back to Harrison, but with some limitations. Boppy is not to leave the house because we don't want him to get lost again. After we got Boppy we went out to my parents house and Boppy was left in the car as a test. Harrison only asked for him once and I had to tell him "no, we don't want him lost". This Boppy incident did come as a blessing. I didn't want Harrison to go into CTR 5 with a blanket and I didn't want to drag Boppy along in August for the first day of Kindergarten. The true test was today at church. I have been Harrison's sunbeam teacher for the last 6 months so when we switched classes today and he had a new teacher he was a little sad at first and asked for Boppy and told me that he wanted to sit by me. I reminded him yet again why Boppy was a home and made a deal with him that he could come sit with me this week only during sharing time, but after he had to go to his new class. Through the tears he said okay and that is what happened. He sat on my lap all through sharing time and when it was time to go to class he went to his class (with some extra help from a girl in his class). After church he was fine and said that he had a good time. Hopefully next week we won't have any tears!

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

Harrison has Boppy and Chloe has her baby!! I don't know how many times we have lost that doll! Glad he is doing well with the adjustment.

Jen said...

Poor guy, losing his most important thing ever. Hopefully he'll adjust well to not having it leave the house with him. How interesting kids get so attached to certain things.

Chrissy said...

Cute new page!!

Unknown said...

At least you guys got boppy back! That would've been terrible.

I love the dresses on your girls in the sidebar pics!

The Venutis said...

You are one smart mommy to use that as a learning experience.